Dog Park Rules The following rules apply to all Chicago Park District dog-friendly areas (DFAs):
* Owners are legally responsible for their dogs and any injuries caused by their dogs.
* Owners must remain within the fenced area at all times.
* Dogs must be leashed prior to entering and upon leaving the park. Gates to the park must remain closed at all times.
* Owners must immediately clean up after their dogs. Failure to do so can result in a fine of up to $500 (City of Chicago Ordinance 7-12-420).
* Dogs with a known history of or who exhibit dangerous behavior are prohibited in the area.
* Dogs must be healthy, fully immunized, de-wormed, licensed and wearing ID tags.
* Children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult: young children must be closely supervised.
* Only three dogs per person are allowed.
* Puppies under four months old and female dogs in heat are prohibited.
* Dogs must be watched at all times.
* Cooperation between dog owners is essential.
As of 2006, all dogs wanting to play and socialize at Chicago DFAs need a special permit and tag, which costs $5 and can be obtained at participating veterinarian offices (PDF).
Here's a list of frequently asked questions (PDF) about obtaining the tag, while this document (PDF) explains the permit plan decided upon by the Chicago Park District at the insistence of the Cook County Department of Animal And Rabies Control.